|Home||Index of Names|
Born: Abt 1600 in Berkshire, England
Married: Abt 1618 in London
Death: 1691 in York, Nansemond Co, VA
(in 1974 the entire county of Nansemond became the city of Suffolk, Va.)
Spouse: Elizabeth Ann Bennett (Dew)
Born: 1603 - St Dunstan, London, England
Death: Abt 1667 - North Farnham Parish, Richmond, Virginia
1. Andrew - Born: 1625 - Death: 1660 Wife: Ann Duncombe (Dew) Born: 1625 Death: 1686
2. John Dew - Born: 1627 - Death: Oct 17, 1678(1677) in Isle of Wight County, VA
3. Thomas Dew - Born: 1629
4. Elizabeth - Born: 1631
5. Ann Dew - Born: 1634
6. Richard Dew - Born: After 1600
Thomas was the son of a Guild Stationer (book publisher and book seller) and growing up he lived with his parents on Fleet Street in London.
Thomas and his brothers received an inheritance from their grandfather, Edward Dewe, in shares of The Virginia Company of London. He use this inheritance to leave England and seek his fortune in the new world.
Thomas and Elizabeth were planters on Somers (Somer Islands Company was an offshoot of The Virginia Company and is now known as Bermuda) , Old Association (now known as Tortuga) and Providence Islands (now known Isla de Providencia or Old Providence ) before moving to Virginia, near Nansemond.
He arrived in America in Virginia the first time sometime during 1630.
As late as 1638, Thomas spelled his last name both Dewe and Dew.
He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses from 1643 through 1654. He was Speaker of the House of Burgesses in November 1652.
He was converted to the Society of Friends (Quakers) in 1672.
When his will was presented before the court 10 October 1691, he owned over 60,000 acres of land in Virginia.
Land (This is only a small listing of land holdings.)
1 Aug 1638 400 Acs Last name - Dewe
10 Oct 1638 300 Acs Last name - Dew
10 Oct 1639 300 Acs
7 nov 1640 250 Acs
8 Jan 1643 750 Acs
23 Apr 1681 450 Acs
He lived in Nansemond County, VA between 1642 and 1660.
Father: Thomas Dewe
- Born: Abt 1584, Harwell, Berkshire, England
- Died: March 1624, Fleet Street, London, England at about 40 years of age.
Mother: Annie Helmes (Dew)
- Born: 10 March 1581, Chipping, Lancashire, England
- Died: 1635, Berkshire, England at about 59 years of age.She was a younger sister of John Helmes, the Guild Master under whom Thomas apprenticed.